Botanical Actives in Skincare: Aloe Vera

Since ancient times, natural materials from the earth and sea have been used for their medicinal and cosmetic benefits. Building on the traditional uses, recent research has focused on the active components and the scientific basis for their use in skin care products.

What are Botanical Actives?

Since ancient times, natural materials from the earth and sea have been used for their medicinal and cosmetic benefits. Building on the traditional uses, recent research has focused on the active components, and the scientific basis for their use in skin care products.

Dr. Elaine’s skin care products are a blend of innovative therapeutic and natural actives. Find out about the history, scientific research and reasons we use them.

Why are Botanical Actives Important?

The search for increased skin care results has fueled advances in science and research for both newly developed high-tech ingredients, and discovery of innovative uses of time-honored botanical and natural compounds.

Often the best skincare results are achieved using a combination of natural botanicals, marine extracts, other active naturals along with scientifically developed cosmeceutical ingredients.

Why Dr. Elaine’s Skincare Uses Botanical Actives

Dr. Elaine’s skincare, developed by board certified dermatologist Dr. Elaine Cook, applies her expertise in treating the skin in both health and disease combined with the latest scientific research on active ingredients contained in botanicals and naturally occurring compounds and high-tech cosmeceuticals.

Dermatologist developed Dr. Elaine’s skin care products combine cutting-edge cosmeceuticals with proven botanical and natural actives from the earth and sea. Each of our skin care lines for anti-aging, acne, sensitive skin and rosacea are a complete system that works together to achieve the best results

About Aloe Vera

Aloe vera (Aloe barbadensis) is a succulent, stemless plant that grows best in arid climates. Traditionally used in ancient times to cure burns and wounds. From its native North Africa and Arabian Peninsula, use spread worldwide through trade and it is now distributed in Africa, India, and southwestern United States.

The plump, fleshy leaves are cut to reveal a thick, gelatinous clear core, named mucilage and a thick, viscous, clear liquid. The mucilage is 99.5 percent water, with active compounds making up the remaining 0.5 percent.

Aloe Vera Scientific Findings

The active part of Aloe vera is the mucilage. Heat processed, or powdered Aloe vera loses its active properties. Dr. Elaine’s products only use cold processed, Aloe vera mucilage fillet.

Scientific studies show active components are aloesin, aloin, aloe emodin, aletinic acid, mucopolysaccharides, choline and choline salicylate, lignin, amino acids, vitamins and minerals. Research on the mucilage and juice has demonstrated anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, anti-fungal, and pigment reducing effects. Studies have also shown improved wound healing and skin barrier function, and humectant effects helping skin maintain its own moisture.

Traditional Uses of Aloe Vera

The Aloe vera plant has a long history of use as an aid to skin healing, especially burns and open skin wounds. As far back as the 10th century, it was used to heal and reduce pain in skin burns due to its anti-inflammatory effects and barrier restoration functions.

Dr. Elaine’s Skincare with Aloe Vera

Used as the main ingredient and basis for all Dr. Elaine's skin care products, with the exception of our powders. We use cold processed Aloe vera fillet containing the mucilage and juice instead of the commonly used powdered or heat processed Aloe vera which does not have the properties of the mucilage.

This results in reduced skin irritability, improved skin moisturization and comfort, pigment blending, improved tolerance of other active ingredients, and improved radiance.

Healthy, clear, younger looking skin. We all want it, and Dr. Elaine’s clinical skin care line combines the best of scientifically developed cutting-edge skin care solutions with proven, high-quality botanical and natural actives. Our high-tech cosmeceuticals include retinol, peptides, antioxidants, plant stem cells, vitamins, and alpha and beta hydroxy acids to improve the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, loss of elasticity, blotchy pigment, dullness, and reduce sensitivity and acne.